Each building competes against a usage baseline, an average of electricity and water usage for their building. Electricity usage carries twice the composite weight of water usage. The combined water (33%) and electricity (66%) usage makes up the composite usage for each building.
Weekly, our utilities team records both the water and electricity usage of each building. These recordings are compared to the buildings’ baselines. The buildings that reduce their water and electricity usage by the highest percentage are crowned as winners of the Energy Challenge.
This Fall's competition will feature a new addition called the IU Eco-App, a game geared towards teaching participants about energy conservation. Participants can earn points by reading tips, taking quizzes, commiting to perform simple sustainable actions, and more! The best part (for participants) is that points can be redeemed for free gift cards!
Who can play:
Anyone living in an RPS residence or any of the 16 Greek houses participating in the Fall 2014 IU Energy Challenge. Competing houses are listed below.
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Xi Delta
Delta Delta Delta
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Alpha Mu
Sigma Delta Tau
Please note that this does not included live-outs. Eligible participants must be living in the chapter house.
How to play:
1) Create a player profile. Go to profile.intelen.com and click on the "Register" button. Fill in the blanks to create a profile. Note: The only information needed to create a profile is a name and IU email address. No personal data (i.e. birthday) is required.
2) Check your email inbox for the Intelen Building InGage activation email and follow the link. Log in to your new account.
|3) Join a game! To do so follow the link at the top of the page when you log in to your account.
4) Enter the respective registration code.
Greek Houses: 543677D993464
RPS Residences: 541755C217D53
5) Join the team of your RPS residence of Greek house.
6) Download the FREE Intelen BiG app and start playing. Please note that players can log in with their Intelen profile, Facebook account, or Google + account.
How it Works: Content
1) Content is released Monday-Friday throughout the Energy Challenge. Players can access the game and play current content seven days a week during the duration of the contest.
2) Three tips will be released every day (Monday-Friday). These tips can be definitions of energy conservation terms, facts and statistics regarding energy conservation, or ways participants can help reduce their electricity and water usage.
3) One 5-question quiz will be released every Tuesday and Thursday. These quizzes are designed to be simple and are based off the information provided in the tips.
4) One commitment will be released every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. These commitments are for simple sustainable action that every student can easily do. These include taking the stairs instead of the elevator, turning off the water while brushing their teeth, etc.
5) One Energy Matters High Usage Update is available every day (Monday-Friday). Instruction for entering these updates is listed below.
How it Works: Energy Matters High Usage Update
1) Pull up the Energy Matters app (part of IU Mobile).
2) Read the highest energy usage reading for the day so far.
3) Enter that reading (and the time it was taken) into the "Register a Fault" portion of the game.
All content in the IU Eco-App has a designated point value. These values are listed below.
-Tips: Reading each tip earns the player one point.
-Quizzes: Answering a quiz question correctly earns the player two points, while answering the question incorrectly earns the player one point.
-Commitments: Committing to an action earns the player two points. Completing the action and acknowledging that completion in the game earns the player three additional points.
-Energy Matters High Energy Usage Update: Entering a High Energy Usage Update earns the player two points.
These points are redeemable for prizes, as outlined below.
50 points: player may redeem points for a $5 gift card.
80 points: player may redeem points for a $10 gift card.
130 points: player may redeem points for a $15 gift card.
170 points: player may redeem points for a $20 gift card.
200 points: player may redeem points for a $25 gift card.
Please note that after redeeming points for a gift card, those points are not applicable for use in earning another gift card.
For example, if Student A earns 50 points and redeems them for a $5 gift card, in order to get a $10 gift card, he must earn an additional 80 points.
Questions? Comments? Contact us at email@example.com